Sunday, November 30, 2025

Kaduna Government Denies El-Rufai’s ₦1 Billion Bandit Payment Claim

Advertisement

The Kaduna State Government has issued a strong and clear response to recent comments made by former Governor Nasir Ahmad El-Rufai during an interview on Channels Television. In the interview, El-Rufai claimed that the current administration led by Governor Uba Sani approved the payment of ₦1 billion to bandits. The government described this allegation as shocking, politically motivated, and completely without evidence.

According to the government, the statement by the former governor is not only wrong but also a deliberate attempt to mislead the public and create confusion. The administration said the comment was designed to inflame emotions and weaken the progress already recorded in improving security and rebuilding community trust in Kaduna State. Officials noted that such remarks were especially disappointing coming from someone who once held the highest office in the state.

The government explained that a former governor should show restraint, maturity, and a commitment to truth, especially on sensitive matters such as security. It said that weaponising insecurity for political advantage does not help the people and instead threatens public confidence. The statement noted that real leadership demands responsible communication and respect for the peace process currently underway.

Advertisement

The government also pointed out that Governor Uba Sani has publicly and consistently denied any involvement in paying money to criminals. He has repeatedly stated that he does not know any bandits, has never spoken to them, and has never authorised the payment of ransom or any other form of financial support. The state government said the governor has made this position clear in interviews, press briefings, and meetings with different community and security groups. They emphasised that not one naira or kobo has been paid to any criminal group under his administration.

The Kaduna State Government further highlighted that the Office of the National Security Adviser has in the past dismissed similar claims made by El-Rufai. ONSA described those earlier allegations as unfounded and not connected to the reality of how Nigeria’s security institutions operate. They stressed that it is not the practice or policy of the Federal Government or any state government to pay ransom to criminal organisations. With such a clear position from the country’s top security office, the state government said the truth should already be obvious to the public.

In its statement, the government outlined its current security strategy, saying it is centred on communities and backed by strong support from citizens, security agencies, international partners, and civil society groups. This approach includes intense military operations, intelligence gathering, and partnerships with lawful local leaders. It also focuses on addressing root causes of insecurity such as poverty and historical grievances. The government made it clear that its engagement is with communities and institutions, not criminals.

Security groups on the ground have also reacted. The Birnin-Gwari Vanguard for Security and Good Governance, which represents one of the communities most affected by banditry during El-Rufai’s time in office, publicly rejected his claims. They described the statements as distortions and half-truths. The government said the group’s lived experience gives their position significant weight and exposes the political nature of El-Rufai’s allegations.

The government also noted that El-Rufai himself has faced accusations in the past from officials who served in his administration. According to the statement, some senior figures previously alleged that he used public money to appease certain individuals, including bandits and herders. The government said these past accusations contradict his current attempts to present himself as outraged or morally upright.

Since Governor Uba Sani took office, the government said there has been progress in stabilising communities. Security agencies now work together more closely, and many schools, markets, and farms that were previously closed have reopened. Communities that were once divided by fear are reconnecting and rebuilding trust. The government added that individuals who oversaw periods of heightened insecurity in the past should recognise the importance of humility, instead of making statements that could derail the ongoing recovery.

The government challenged El-Rufai to present any real evidence if he has it. They invited him to release documents, memos, bank records, or any credible testimony that could support his claims. The state reminded the public that after making similar statements in September 2025, no proof ever came forward. Instead, the government said he has simply repeated old allegations to stir public reactions.

The Kaduna State Government said El-Rufai owes the people a sincere apology for spreading misinformation on such a serious matter. It added that if he fails to withdraw his statement and apologise within one week, the government will take legal steps to protect public order and defend the integrity of its institutions.

The statement ended by reaffirming the commitment of the Kaduna State Government to transparency, responsible security management, and the safety of all citizens. It stressed that the period of sensational claims without proof is over and declared that a new era of principled and effective security governance is now taking root in the state.

It was signed by Hon. Dr. Sule Shu’aibu, Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs.

Advertisement
RELATED ARTICLES

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Most Popular