The Abia State Government has announced plans to shortlist 24,023 applicants for a Computer-Based Test in the second batch of its teacher recruitment exercise, as it moves to employ 4,000 new teachers across the state.
The Commissioner for Information, Okey Kanu, disclosed this on Monday while addressing journalists at Government House, Umuahia, on the outcome of this week’s State Executive Council meeting presided over by Governor Alex Otti.
In a statement released by the Head of Information at Government House, Umuahia, Divine Nwankwo, the commissioner said the second batch of the recruitment exercise is progressing well.
“At the last count, about 36,415 applications were received, while 24,023 applicants were actually shortlisted for the Computer-Based Test (CBT).
“The date for the CBT will be announced in due course,” the statement read.
The statement recalled that last year the state government employed 5,394 teachers, while the target for the second batch is 4,000 teachers.
It also disclosed that the Education Management and Information System is being deployed to integrate education data across primary and secondary schools in the state. According to the statement, EMIS will support efficient school management, data-driven planning, and measurable outcomes.
“Last year, the state government employed 5,394 teachers, while the target for the second batch of recruitment of teachers is 4,000 teachers.
“And the system will support the efficient management of schools, data-driven development, planning and measurable outcomes in schools,” Kanu noted.
The statement further highlighted the resumption of the mass literacy and non-formal education programme for adults for the 2025–2026 academic session in all 17 Local Government Areas. It stated that a sensitisation campaign is ongoing to increase enrolment, targeting school dropouts, traders, artisans, and other adults.
On sports, the Abia State contingent to the recently concluded National Basic Education Schools Sports Games emerged the best in athletics and overall performance, winning eight gold medals and other accolades.
“The performance of the Abia state contingent is an eloquent testimony to the success of the youth development programmes of this administration, particularly in the field of school sports,” Kanu stated.
The statement added that the governor has promised to host the team at a later date.
It also praised ongoing reforms in the education sector, noting that Abia has consistently emerged as the best-performing state in NECO examinations over the past three years.
“Abia State, for the past three years, has consistently emerged as the best-performing state in NECO exams.
“This record signifies the massive impact of the transformation and reform agenda of His Excellency in the education sector,” the statement read.
On infrastructure, the statement said the Ministry of Works is engaged in direct labour projects across 48 locations. Completed projects include maintenance of 14.8 kilometres of Alayi–Ugwueke Road in Bende LGA, 1.1 kilometres of Awomukwu–Umusokoro Road in Ikwuano LGA, 900 metres of Umusokoro Road in Ikwuano, and 9.1 kilometres of Umunkpeyi–Umuru–Okokiri Road in Isialangwa South LGA. Three new projects have also been added to the ministry’s maintenance basket.
Contributing, the Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Goodluck Ubochi, said EMIS will monitor pupils’ progress, including tracking movement between schools, whether private or public.
The statement reiterated that the date for the CBT in the second batch of teacher recruitment is yet to be fixed, assuring that the government will announce it once it is determined.
The press briefing at Government House, Umuahia, was attended by the Special Adviser to the Governor on Media and Publicity, Ferdinand Ekeoma.
